Friday, August 9, 2013

Human Graffiti

One brief month ago, I came to River City Ministry full of fear, excitement, and eagerness to teach. I was not sure exactly what to expect.

What I found was nothing like what I anticipated. My view and of poverty, urban culture, and myself changed completely. My mentor had me walk the streets with the people we serve and observe how they are treated. What I saw was human graffiti.

When He saw the crowd, He had compassion on them... (Matt. 9:36)

Walls, homes, train cars, signs, abandoned vehicles, and pretty much everything else in the city are defaced by graffiti. We know that it is there, and we may even glance at it every once in a while, but if we comment on it at all it is usually a sad remark of disgust. Many times we cannot make out what the symbols stand for, but regardless of the message, graffiti is seen as a vulgarity. Its existence is a violation of the law, and it makes our cities look trashy. We see it all over the city, but forget it as soon as we pass it. Who gets out of their car to admire graffiti?

Welcome to the world of the homeless. Though they dwell under the bridges, in the parks, and anywhere they can in the city, and we all know they are there, who gives them more than a glance? As a matter of fact, most people pretend not to see the homeless and purposefully avoid eye-contact. Sure we may comment to those riding with us that it is a sad shame that there are people on the streets, but that is usually the end of it. After all, their very existence is a vulgar stain on the city; soon and gladly forgotten.

Because of the difference in our experiences, outward appearances, and living conditions, we cannot even make out what they stand for or who they are. To avoid guilt, we don’t look too hard, or give that much effort to learning anything about them. We reassure ourselves that they are only reaping what they sowed or trying to take advantage of someone. After all, we would probably get robbed if we stopped to help, and if we gave them money they would just spend it on drugs. So now, with clear consciences we “pass by on the other side.”

What we fail to see, is that often, like the graffiti on this page, the men and women we overlook are pointing to Christ and all bear His image. If we looked harder, we would see men find people who rely on God to an extent we cannot comprehend. You would. God has blessed my life by allowing me to walk with spiritual giants. The libraries of most of these men and women consist of only a Bible. They spend so much time in God’s word that they are empowered to serve their God fearlessly in the darkest of places. While living under whatever bridge they are not run out from under, my friends on the street manage to thank God for all their blessings I continually take for granted.


 I came as a teacher, but my God humbled me to make me a student. For years, I preached about a faith that consumes the life of the believer, but here, in the inner city, I have seen it! God broke me down to cause my faith in Him to grow, and now He is building me back up to serve beside my teachers. We share our love for God with each other and lean on one another as we walk with God. My God has opened my eyes, now I can see His Son’s face everywhere in this city, because I now see His people instead of ignoring the human graffiti.


For the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not vanish forever.
(Psalm 9:18)
 



No comments:

Post a Comment